Thursday, January 06, 2005

Does dark matter?

According to current thinking in cosmological physics, over 90% of the universe is comprised of matter and energy we can't see and can barely detect - so-called "dark matter" and "dark energy". Of the stuff we can see, most of it's us.

This would certainly explain the urge to blog. Blogging creates detectable matter out of the great void - matter that, if not called into existence by legions of self-absorbed wordbirds such as myself, would just be lurking around out there, bending radio waves at inconvenient moments, drilling along through the crust of the Earth like it ain't no thang, and fucking up other people's equations (which is just rude).

I can't help wondering, being that all matter and energy (which are the same thing) in the universe is constant, and being that it's possible (in the sense of not being proven impossible) that dark matter could somehow convert to plain old matter, whether by creating this blog site I may have inadvertently deprived of his great moment some poor Antarctic research physicist who's been hanging out in a stuffy, creaking quonset hut in dirty sweatpants for six years, diligently calculating the precise arrival time of the next beloved neutrino, which, instead of diving into the polar crust for a nanosecond's flick at the machinery of detection, found itself keelhauled by my ISP and frogmarched along to this page to become an infinitesimally small, but crucial part of the digital expression of the number 9.

(That was one sentence. I should be spanked.)

I would apologize to Research Dude, but I'm mad with power - the power to create being from nothingness.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm amazed you could even write a sentence that long at 7:32 in the morning.

sueb

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll spank you if you'll tell me what a "quonset hut" is, I promise. That's the second time this week I've come across those words and all I can fathom is that it's some kind of hut. You've got my email address!

Aidan

1:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home