Friday, March 09, 2007

It's a Family Thing

Thank you all for your kind comments on my recent post, Sunrise Sunset.

It's funny to imagine people actually reading what I write here. I am sure that on some days it must be like going dumpster-diving in someone else's verbal garbage. You see, I write mostly because I have to put all these words somewhere: if I don't, things get cluttered and then I can't find things I need like grocery lists and the names of people I work with every day. So, while I thank you for your encouragement, I should also apologize for leaving a good deal of wordy trash on the sidewalk.

Meanwhile: I started a new job this week, and as luck would have it, my office is all the way around the corner from the Salvation Army where Linn interns two days a week. (He's a student in Community Work at George Brown College.) We are in an odd sort of industrial dead zone between Riverdale and the projects. There isn't really anywhere good to go for lunch (or anywhere at all: there's the soup kitchen at the Sally Ann's, and they don't need our patronage, thank god). So when I invited Linn to meet me at lunch, we ended up just eating what I had brought in the kitchen of my new office.

I love hanging out with Linn these days. He continually suprises me with his insights into people, politics, poverty, the state of the world. He's become one of the most compassionate, and passionate, people I know. And he's my son! So you can imagine how unbelievably proud I am of him.

At lunch I was telling him how I've had to readjust to being up in the morning in order to come to work. This morning I was up at 6:45, which for me is almost unfeasibly early. Linn just laughed and said "Oh, poor Muffin!" It turns out that Linn gets up every day at 6, if not earlier. Not because it takes him hours to get ready for work, but because he likes being up at 6 in the morning. He makes coffee and takes a walk to place where he can see the sun come up over the downtown skyline. "It's the only time of day when I am not thinking about what I just did or what I have to do next. It's really peaceful. There's even a kind of holiness in the world when you see it at first light."

So there you go. Linn always was a bit precocious, and here he his, getting a jump on the morning thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home