Monday, January 10, 2005

The only constant

Change, it's been said, is the only constant. What tripe. What about faulty stage monitors?

On Thursday last I played some music, in public, with my friend Alyson MacLeod. It was the first time in 2 years for me, the first in 7 or 8 for her. We used to be rock stars. Now we're just, I don't know, rocks. Sedentary, sedimentary, putting the "ass" back in jurassic.

Monitors aside, it was good. We learned how to mic a cello. We made people listen. How wonderful to have come back to music, loving it as much as ever, but leaving behind the giving of a fuck whether it's cool with the kids - or anyone else for that matter.

I used to think it was ego, but now I suspect that making music, as an act of creation, is an essential act of id. The id wants food, the child cries. The id wants music, the fingers play. The id doesn't care about anyone's needs but its own.

I devolve, happily, every day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home